1. I have not read a great book this year. So far, in 2012, everything I have read is meh with a capital M. And I had such high hopes for so many of the books, like Ready Player One, The Art of Fielding and The Leftovers (too lazy to link to blog posts…).
2. I have *finally* figured out how the novel I am going to write will end. This has been mulling in the back of my brain for almost two years now, and every time I think I want to get started putting something on paper (or computer), I get too discouraged because there hasn’t been a solution. But it came to me the other night, I am so excited, and now I am ready to write!
These two things lead me to this:
I am going to read only “beach novels” the rest of the year, aside from the occasional book club pick or memoir on Scientology (what?). “Beach Novels” to me are light, fun reads that make me happy. Sometimes I forget about what happened within an hour of closing the covers (Shopaholic), other times, they stick with me and have become my absolute favorite books of all time (Bridget Jones, I’m looking at you. And you, too, Big Stone Gap).
To get in the right frame of mind for writing this book in my head, I want to immerse myself in plucky heroines trying to find love despite all odds. I want quirky best friends and ridiculous romantic encounters. I want page turners and the feeling of actually enjoying reading again. I want to read books that would make really great RomCom movies, a genre I tend to loathe, but find that the older I get, the more I love them.
Here are a few on my list to read:
- Watermelon by Marian Keyes
- Mr. Maybe by Jane Green
- I’ve Got Your Number by Sophia Kinsella
- Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell
- Messy by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (aka The Fug Girls)
Any suggestions? Favorite authors or titles I should add to my list? I’m all ears.
(PS: Happy Birthday to my husband!)