The good news: In order for a 27-pound toddler to overdose on ibuprofen, they have to take at least twelve 200-mg pills.
The bad news: I had to call Poison Control to find that out.
Luckily, thankfully, Jasper didn’t seem to ingest ANY pills, instead, managed to open a childproof bottle while I was going to the bathroom, and started sorting them into two piles.
I feel like a total idiot, but once the panic dies down, the tears (mine) are wiped away, a silent thanks of gratitude is said, and the situation is under control in a positive way, these sorts of things are always good lessons in retrospect. (Like the time my niece came out of my bathroom sucking on a razor like a lollipop. Lesson learned in that case: keep the plastic guard on the razor at all times. Even better: don’t leave a razor on the tub’s side if a toddler is in the house. Even better than that: get rid of all razors! And all sharp objects! And medicine! And cleaning supplies! Bah!) Already today I’ve emptied out all the cabinet drawers of any dangerous substances and locked them away. That should buy us a few months until he discovers how to open locked cabinets, right?
Sigh. And just minutes before this happened, I pumped myself up for the day by saying, “I can do this! I’m a SUPER MOM!”
Sometimes it feels like I’ve got a long ways to go!